Saturday, 17 May 2014

Parrot BLU from RIO free pattern!

Parrot BLU from movie Rio free pattern
Parrot BLU
This is my gift to all movie RIO fans. Best wishes to all of you ;)
Finally I wrote down free pattern of this parrot BLU and now you all can crochet yourself cute BLU from RIO.

Have you seen the second movie? I did :) Wonderful colors and great story. If you haven't seen it go and see this movie.


Still I'm not happy with the beak. To tell you the truth the beak was main reason I put off pattern post. I cannot create the beak I like but people kept asking for the pattern so I had to post it. I decided to create temporary beak. If I create new beak I will let you know :)

I used Egypto Cotton by Schachenmayr original yarn.

Until then click more to find FREE pattern and make your BLU!


Feet (make 2)

Parrot BLU feet from movie Rio free pattern
Parrot's BLU feet 
First claw of foot
Round 1: 5 sc in magic ring (5)
Round 2: 2 sc in each sc around. (10)
Round 3-7: sc around (10)
Fasten off and set aside. First claw of foot made.

Second claw
Rounds 1–7: Repeat rounds 1–7 of first claw. Do not fasten off at end of second claw. Stuff both claws.

Back Claw
Round 8: sc around. (16)
Round 9:  *dec 1, sc 2*, repeat around.(12)
Stuff firmly.
Round 10:  *dec 1, sc 4*, repeat around. (10)
Round 11 - 14: sc around (10)
Round 15:  *dec 1, sc 3*, repeat around. (8)
Round 16: sc around. (8)
Round 17: *dec 1*, repeat around. (4)
Fasten off and weave in ends.

First wing

Parrot BLU wings from movie Rio free pattern
Parrot's BLU wings
Row 1: chain 11 
Row 2: 10 sc in a second stich
Row 3: chain 1, sc 10
Now it is time to make 5 long feathers: 
chain 10, go back in a second stich and make 9 double sc, sl st in a second sc of the base
chain 9, go back in a second stich and make 8 double sc, sl st in a second sc of the base
chain 8, go back in a second stich and make 7 double sc, sl st in a second sc of the base
chain 7, go back in a second stich and make 6 double sc, sl st in a second sc of the base
chain 6, go back in a second stich and make 5 double sc, sl st in a second sc of the base
Now crochet sc around all perimeter till the end. It is like the second layer of all the wing.

Second wing (the opposite)

Row 1: chain 11 
Row 2: 10 sc in a second stich
Row 3: chain 1, sc 10
Now it is time to make 5 long feathers: 
chain 6, go back in a second stich and make 5 double sc, sl st in a second sc of the base
chain 7, go back in a second stich and make 6 double sc, sl st in a second sc of the base
chain 8, go back in a second stich and make 7 double sc, sl st in a second sc of the base
chain 9, go back in a second stich and make 8 double sc, sl st in a second sc of the base
chain 10, go back in a second stich and make 9 double sc, sl st in a second sc of the base
Now crochet sc around all perimeter till the end. It is like the second layer of all the wing.

Parrot BLU topknot from movie Rio free pattern
Parrot's BLU topknot
Topknot

Row 1: chain 7
Now you have to crochet 3 feathers:
chain 8, go back in a second stich and make 7 sc, sl st in a second sc of the base
chain 13, go back in a second stich and make 12 sc, sl st in a second sc of the base
chain 14, go back in a second stich and make 13 sc, sl st in a second sc of the base

Tail

Row 1: chain 6
Row 2: go back in a second stich and make 5 sc
Round 3: chain1, sc 5
Parrot BLU tail from movie Rio free pattern
Parrot's BLU tail
Now you have to crochet 5 feathers:
chain 20, go back in a second stich and make 19 sc, sl st in the base
chain 25, go back in a second stich and make 24 sc, sl st in the base
chain 30, go back in a second stich and make 29 sc, sl st in the base
chain 25, go back in a second stich and make 24 sc, sl st in the base
chain 20, go back in a second stich and make 19 sc, sl st in the base

Beak
Round 1: 6 sc in magic ring (6)
Round 2: sc around (6)
Round 3: *sc 1, 2 sc in next sc*, repeat around. (9)
Round 4:*2 sc in next sc, sc 2*, repeat around. (12)
Round 5: sc around (12)
Round 6: *2 sc in next sc, sc 3*, repeat around. (15)
Round 7: sc around (15)
Round 8: dec 3 times, 8 sc (11)
Round 9: dec 3 times, 5 sc (8)
Parrot BLU from movie Rio free pattern
Parrot BLU
Round 10: dec 4 times (4)


Head

Round 1: 6 sc in magic ring (6)
Round 2: 2 sc in each sc around. (12)
Round 3: *sc 1, 2 sc in next sc*, repeat around. (18)
Round 4: *sc 2, 2 sc in next sc*, repeat around. (24)
Round 5: *sc 3, 2 sc in next sc*, repeat around. (30)
Round 6: *sc 4, 2 sc in next sc*, repeat around.  (36)
Rounds 7–18 : sc around (36)
Round 19: *dec 1, sc 4*, repeat around. (30)
Sew topknot on the head.
Put the eyes in the 11th row from the top. Sew both sides inside of the head to make it flat.
Sew the beak. Stuff the head.
Round 20:*dec 1, sc 3*, repeat around. (24)
Round 21: *dec 1, sc 2*, repeat around. (18)
Fasten off and weave in ends.

Body
Parrot BLU from movie Rio free pattern
Parrot BLU

Round 1: 6 sc in magic ring (6)
Round 2: 2 sc in each sc around. (12)
Round 3: *sc 1, 2 sc in next sc*, repeat around. (18)
Round 4: *sc 2, 2 sc in next sc*, repeat around. (24)
Round 5: *sc 3, 2 sc in next sc*, repeat around. (30)
Round 6: *sc 4, 2 sc in next sc*, repeat around.  (36)
Round  7: * sc 5, 2 sc in next sc*, repeat around. (42)
Round 8 -9: sc around. (42)
Round 10: *sc 6, 2 sc in next sc*, repeat around. (48)
Round 11-12: sc around (48)
Round 13: *dec 1, sc 6*, repeat around. (42)
Rounds 14–15: sc around. (42)
Now sew the feet and tail.
Round 16: *dec 1, sc 5*, repeat around. (36)
Rounds 17–21: sc around. (36)
Round 22: *dec 1, sc 4*, repeat around. (30)
Rounds 23–27: sc around. (30)
Now sew the wings. Stuff the body.
Round 28:  *dec 1, sc 3*, repeat around. (24)
Round 29: sc around. (24)
Round 30: *dec 1, sc 2*, repeat around. (18)
Fasten off and weave in ends. Sew head and body together.

Have a sweet crocheting time!

31 comments:

  1. Thank You, Very much for The Pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My three year old is desperate for a pirate themed bedroom & is insistent on a parrot for his room...a real one! Despite my telling him that there is no way he could have a real parrot, he is still adamant that he wants one! Being a huge RIO fan, I'm hoping Blu will be enough to keep him satisfied to sit in his birds nest when I decorate his room! Cant wait to get started! :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope BLU becomes your child's best friend :) You will have to tell me how it goes!

      Delete
    2. very nice to sharethe pattern with all of us
      I would like to do
      thanks
      rukmani

      Delete
  3. Thanks very much for the patron
    Thanks your interest and help and for help me whit my doubts
    Muchisimas gracias con tu blu haces felix a muchos niños
    Gracias

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the detailed instructions! Wonderful parrot RIO!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have the pattern for a different shaped beak?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry but no, I don't have the other pattern.

      Delete
  6. lovely, i have linked you on my free pattern FB site
    https://www.facebook.com/jennekevm?ref=hl

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gracias por compartir, eso demuestra tu generosidad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. I'm sorry I really can't say because I never count grams. But definitely it's small amount because the parrot is quite small.

      Delete
  9. Hi there great pattern idea I love to make toys for my kids but I have no craft stores in my small town so I get what I can from WalMart and what I cant I order online. I have looked over the full pattern but you don't say what size eyes to use. please let me know so I can order them and make this for my daughter. she will love this to death. thanks in advance ~ Stephanie=)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I don't have the bird so I cannot tell you the exact measures but I guess it is around 8 mm.

      Delete
  10. Thank you for sharing this gorgeous pattern for free

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please, i did not understand link between second claw and back claw.
    How to join the claws?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. You should add two claws and crochet as if it was the same item. Then you should crochet around. That's how you get 1 feet instead of 2 claws.

      Delete
  12. What size book did you use? There are no instructions about hook size or gauge at all. Would appreciate the help.

    ReplyDelete
  13. lorettaheim 10/19/15 2:42pm.
    Hi, I love the parrot. I tried to copy the pattern and it always shows up with a gray box about cookies on each page obscuring the patterns. Is there
    another way I can maintain the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  14. lorettaheim 10/19/15/ 2;53 PM
    Please disregard the former e-mail about directions. I found it under free patterns. Sorry for any inconvenience.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you! I love it!! I'm a grandmother who loves to crochet to my grandchildren, but this lovely Blue, i think i'll keep for my selfe. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would like to know if I can sell toys made from your patterns
    Thank you so much for your help

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm not good at judging how much yarn I need. I may just wing it but would appreciate that information. What size hook would help as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was wondering what size hook also. I am going to start it with a 2.75 mm I believe. Only because I don't have a 2.5 mm. Love the pattern, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi! This pattern is sooooo cute! I just wondered if it is allowed to sell the finished product when mentioning your name?
    Best wishes, Susy

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you soooo much! I'm about to make this for my sister as a surprize gift because she LOVES birds!

    ReplyDelete